Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Catch Up: Books Part 1

Okay okay so it's been a long...long..looooong time since I last posted. I've been to Melbourne, I've been to Sydney, I've been getting more and more terrified of catching up with my book posts. For the sake of brevity/sanity, let's make these reviews a series of buzz-words and adjectives. Okay, yes?

One for the linguist-nerds. Humans living with double-mouthed aliens in bizarro future-future time. Has some great sci-fi, but also some awful characters. Lead is an automaton with a penchant for sleeping with twins. Cold but satisfying.
Read to be culturally relevant. Idea is like the toothless, anti-communist spin on Battle Royale:


The parts I like most were the descriptions of the stylists making them over. Is it just me or is this both weird and unnecessary? Wouldn't Katniss be a little miffed about being all gussied up just to go gut some of her chums? And also, if style is so important, why do the outfits in the movie version look so blah?

Non-fiction book about two of Australia's foremost patrons of the arts. Visited their gallery in Melbourne; an elderly tour guide followed me around giving me the inside story. John and Sunday Reed supported the likes of Sidney Nolan and Arthur Boyd. Sunday had affairs with many of them. Both saucy and educational. 

No comments:

Post a Comment