Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Movies: The Chaser and The Yellow Sea

I've been meaning to catch up on my Korean films. More than anything else they're always surprising. Perhaps it's just I don't know the cultural stereotypes and story tropes, but I never know what's going to happen. The Chaser is exactly like that. For starters it's a murder thriller where the main character is a cop turned pimp, and the killer is caught in the first half-hour. From there it gets messier and messier as the police force tracks down the killer's lair before the next victim dies. Now that I think about it in some ways that's like quite a few Hollywood movies. But this is different! I'd explain how but it doesn't matter, since this one is being adapted into a Hollywood version ala Infernal Affairs.


In translation "The Yellow Sea"

The Yellow Sea is the next film from Na Hong-jin the director of The Chaser. It's also about murders. FYI guns are apparently v.rare in South Korea, because I've never seen so much stabbin' before. As in pretty much every death (and I'm guessing there are at least thirty)is by stabbin' and axin' and motherfuckin tomahawkin'. Killings aside, it's actually really compelling and gives a great insight into a world most of us know nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment